Friday, August 12, 2011

Kefir Grains

A couple weeks ago I told you guys my mother had given me some live kefir grains and after reading about them I learned that they are good for your body in more ways than one and I have been consuming them everyday (with the exception of yesterday) and I have to say I do feel great. 

This is part of an article I found:

The Benefits of Consuming Kefir Regularly Within Your Diet
Easily digested, it cleanses the intestines, provides beneficial bacteria and yeast, vitamins and minerals,
and complete proteins.  Because kefir is such a balanced and nourishing food, it contributes to a healthy immune system and has been used to help patients suffering from AIDS, chronic fatigue syndrome, herpes, and cancer. Its tranquilizing effect on the nervous system has benefited many who suffer from sleep disorders, depression, and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

The regular use of kefir may help relieve most intestinal disorders, promote proper bowel movement, reduce flatulence and create a healthier digestive system. In addition, its cleansing effect on the whole body helps to establish a balanced inner ecosystem for optimum health and longevity.

Kefir may also help eliminate unhealthy food cravings by making the body more nourished and balanced.
Its excellent nutritional content offers healing and health-maintenance benefits to people in every type of condition.
(click here for the rest of the article)


This is what mine look like:

In the jar after leaving the milk fermenting for 24 hours
Fresh out of jar into strainer
straining
creamy liquid strained from kefir grains
after being rinsed off

After I rinse them off, I put them back into the (clean) jar and pour just enough milk to cover them, leave them in a shaded area away from the sun for 24-48 hours and do the process again.  I let the liquid get cold in the fridge and drink it straight like that (it has a very tart and sour taste), but you can make it into a smoothie or simply add some sugar to sweeten it up:)  


Ok, so that's that on my kefir grains:)

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have Neto drink some, maybe his problem with his gastritis gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your website on the SITS Forum Thread 'Let the Following Begin'.
    I am now following you.
    Do visit my blog too and follow it.
    Keep the 'Sistahood' alive!

    Love,
    Alia'
    http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete